What is so special of Makar Sankranti celebration in Gujarat? Yes, you guessed it right its kite flying, which is Gujarat’s unique way of celebrating Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti. Since 1989, the city of Ahmedabad is hosting the International Kite Festival to mark this occasion. Sky filled with dazzling colourful kites welcome people from across the globe to witness this beautiful Kite festival in India.
Uttarayan is originally a special day of Hindu calendar celebrated every year on 14th January which is popularly known as Makar Sankranti in North India and Pongal in South India. This marks the beginning of warmer and longer days and this time of the year witnesses usually a sunny day with brisk breezes, perfect for flying kites. The 9 days International Kite Festival Ahmedabad is organised by the Gujarat Tourism Development Corporation.
Top 6 things you must not miss at International Kite Festival Ahmedabad 2018
- Get your favourite kite from the Patang Bazaar which is open 24 hours before the celebration. This special kite market filled with attractive kites in innumerable tones, designs and shapes.
- Go to Sardar Patel Stadium which is the official venue for the International Kite Festival Ahmedabad. Almost every known variety of kites can be seen in the skies over the stadium, from box kites to high speed sport kites or the traditional artistic ones.
- Don’t miss out the master kite makers and flyers who comes to the Kite festival in India from different parts of the world. Their unique creations, like Malaysian wau-balang kites, American giant banner kites or the Japanese rokkaku fighting kites wow the crowds with their skills.
- Look up in the sky and you can feel the festivity in the atmosphere, those who are not in the stadium, they are on their rooftop flying kites enjoying with family and friends. People irrespective of caste, creed, sex, region or religion participate in the International Kite Festival, Ahmedabad.
- Enjoy the local delicacies like undhyu, Surati jamun or laddoos which are available at the food stalls at the International Kite Festival. Enjoy the cultural performance at the stadium.
- One of the most attractive event is the special kite displays at night. Illuminated kites known as Tukals are flown in the sky. So be there till dawn and witness the beauties in the sky.
International Kite Festival Ahmedabad 2018
Dates: 7th to 15th January
Plan your visit to Ahmedabad in January and fly your kites and celebrate the festivity.
For more interesting Lifestyle and Cultural articles, click here. Follow our e-zine for more.