5 Indian Rock Bands That Have Redefined Rock Music
Rock music is one of the most energetic and lively genres of music. Originated in the United States, it has evolved in many ways. The high decibel sounds sends an electrifying sensation to the veins and annihilates the ongoing chaos in the mind. Sometimes, it also served as a catalyst for a major socio-political movement.
Influenced by the western culture, the Indian musical industry too witnessed the advent of domestic rock bands in the 80’s and the 90’s. They have become the major attraction of college fests across the country. Even though the musical styles of the various rock band differ from each other but they all have their roots in the Indian music.
Enlist are some of the popular rock bands in India.
- Indian Ocean: Indian Ocean is an Indian based rock band formed in New Delhi in the early 90’s. Considered as the pioneers of rock fusion, their musical compositions consisting of fusion of elements from rock music and raga (traditional indian tunes) They have even rendered music in Bollywood movies like Masaan, Peepli Live, Gulaal One of their albums have sold out more than 40,000 copies within a year of its release – the most by any Indian Band ever. The current band members are Nikhil Rao (Lead Guitarist), Amit Kilam (drums, percussions and vocals) , Rahul Ram (bass guitar and vocals), Himanshu Joshi ,Tuheen Chakraborty (percussions).
- Avial: It is an Indian alternative rock band based in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. They specialize in what they call “Alternative Malayali Rock” which is the fusion of mainstream Malayalam lyrics along with the elements of rock music. The band has toured in cities across India as well as internationally. They have received critical acclaim despite singing in their native language. It comprises of Rex Vijayan (guitars, synthesiser), Tony John( lead vocals, synthesiser, turntables), Mithun Puthanveetil (drums), Binny Isaac (bass) and Neha Nair (backing vocals) as the members.
- Thermal and a Quarter(TAAQ): Thermal and a Quarter is a rock band from Bangalore. They describe their musical style as “Bangalore Rock”.The band comprise of three people namely Bruce Lee Mani (guitar and vocals), Rajeev Rajagopal (drums) and Leslie Charles (bass). They have even opened their own music academy “Taaqademy” to hone the upcoming music talents in the country.
- Parikrama: Parikrama is a rock and roll band from Delhi, India. They have several live performances and original scores to their credit. The band has not yet released a full fledge music album but they record majority of their songs during their live performances. Their song But it rained has been featured in the listing of “25 Greatest Indian Rock Songs of the last 25 Years” in the year 2014.
- Agnee: Agnee is an Indian rock band based in Pune. It’s one of the very few Indian rock bands to have signed a major label record deal. Their music contains strong Carnatic and Hindustani classical influences. The band members include Kannan Mohan (vocals), Hrishikesh Dattar (drums and percussion) along with Kaustubh Dhavale and Chirayu Vedekar specializing in Guitars and Bass respectively. Basically, their music is a blend of musical styles of all its leading members. They are all set to make their film debut in the upcoming Bollywood flick ‘Rockin Love’.