Tips That Doctors Don’t Share With a New Mom
About Baby Care
The birth of a baby is a joyous and life-changing experience for new parents. Every parent wants to protect their new-born and keep them safe and healthy. New parents often get a lot of advice from elders, parents, well-wishers, and doctors. Baby care tips for new moms are given by a lot of experienced moms.
But often few tips are not given by the doctors and the new parents are confused about the do and don’ts for new born baby.
Sharing few baby care, health, feeding and safety tips for parents which will help them in handling their new-born babies better.
- Handling: Every new parent is worried and scared to handle their bundle of joy. They are scared that they might hurt the baby or hold the baby incorrectly. Babies are much stronger than we think. When holding the baby make sure that one hand is behind the bottom of the baby and the other hand under the shoulder and beneath the head giving the head support. This is one of the most important new born baby care tips.
- Washing hands before holding and handling the baby. The new-born baby’s immune system is very weak, and he/she is at the risk of catching infections very easily. So, ensure that every time you or any other person handles the baby the hands are washed properly.
- Always place the baby on the back. Ensure that the infant sleeps on the back and not on the belly. Sleeping on the belly can cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). One should not overlook this new-born baby care tip.
- Burping. Burping the child is very important after each feed. This will prevent the formation of gas. Gas often causes discomfort and colic in the new-borns. Baby care tips for new moms has this tip as one of the most crucial ones.
- Feeding and napping schedule. A new-born needs to be fed on demand. Nurse the baby to sleep. It fills the little one’s tummy as well as gives the mother’s warmth too. There should be a gap in between the nursing and sleeping time.
- Immunization. In the list of do’s and don’ts for the baby, immunizing the baby is a must. To protect the baby from various life-threatening diseases, parents should always immunize the baby. Your pediatrician will give you a vaccination schedule.
- Swaddling. Swaddling is wrapping the baby completely in a blanket to ensure the new-born gets the feeling of womb outside the womb. Swaddling also ensures that the baby doesn’t throw his arms and legs or get startled.
- Trimming the baby’s nails. The tiny little hands have very sharp nails. The baby might injure himself/herself while playing or simply scratch his/her face. The nails should be regularly trimmed. Baby nail cutters are available. You might be scared as a parent to do so but it’s very important for the baby’s safety.
- Don’t shake the baby. Often the new parents shake the babies a lot to make sure they sleep. Never do so as it might result in Shaken Baby Syndrome and might cause internal bleeding. This is another vital new-born baby care tip.
- Don’t use perfumed wipes. Avoid using perfumed wipes on the baby’s soft and delicate skin as it might cause rash or allergy.
Parenting is an everyday learning journey. But these baby care, health, feeding, and safety tips for parents help the new parents in handling their little babies better.