Many of us cherish beautiful memories of a childhood which remind us of how simple lives were back then. Simply done but very spacious houses with a mandatory lawn where flowers of different hues bloomed. We had ample space to run, relax, play and socialise. But the images are what is left of that time.
With the years, our spaces are getting diminished. With stand-alone houses giving way to high-rise apartments, our homes are getting increasingly smaller. Very few people can boast of a sprawling private terrace and we feel lucky if we can get an attached balcony for our apartments. Thus, home decor involving clever ideas for a small balcony is in high demand.
But don’t let a tiny or small balcony keep you from making it your own. With some creativity, imagination and an undeniable personal touch, one can definitely create a private sanctuary for ourselves to relax, think, socialize or just watch the world go by. Let’s take a look at some clever and thrifty balcony decoration ideas.
- Give it a different look: The idea is to make this space look a little different from the rest of the house. If you have used marble flooring as the main house decor, you could use ‘wood’ tiles, which look like wooden flooring.
- Seating space: Now, you have to decide what purpose the balcony will serve. Will it be used for your relaxation purpose or you plan on having guests over? Plan your balcony decoration accordingly. You can either place foldable chairs or create a wall-attached seating on either side of the balcony. Foldable furniture is a great way of creating more space when you need some.
- A little greenery, some flowers please: We don’t want to be creating a space with no life. Here’s where some beautiful plants and colourful flowers will instantly liven up the area. You can use discarded bottles, teapots coffee mugs to plant the saplings. They give a very rustic vibe and look lovely. But instead of placing the potted plants on the floor, you can either create wall hanging ones, roof-hanging ones or just attach them to the guard railing. Trust me, you’ll save up in a lot of space.
- Let your imagination run wild: With the basic framework in place, now is the time to show your personal taste with the home decor. Would you like a pop of electric colours or perhaps a breezy Mediterranean theme? Or how about going totally Boho? The choice is entirely yours.
- Create additional storage: Instead of a traditional bench, you can get one with a storage space underneath. Better still, you can use old steel or wooden boxes for seating where you can store old newspapers, cleaning supplies etc.
- It’s all about the ambience: Imagine you have friends over, wine is flowing freely and there’s animated conversation all around. A few thoughtfully placed hanging lamps could just lift up the ambience and let out a very cozy vibe.
- Don’t forget about the weather: Now, you don’t want all your balcony decoration ideas and efforts to go in vain, with the rain playing spoilsport. Take into account the very important weather. If it rains frequently, you could modify your choices accordingly. Instead of wood, you could use waterproof marine ply or fortified wrought iron furniture. You can also put a canopy to avoid the rain or harsh sunlight for that matter.
Let the above balcony decoration ideas serve only as basic guidelines. It all comes down to you- your personal preferences and tastes. There are endless possibilities even with a small balcony. So, go all out. Your space is now ready to wow people.