Get Rid Of Acid Reflux By Eating These Magic Foods
Do you feel acidic or have burning sensation after eating meals? Does this happen to you too? This usually means that you might be suffering from acid reflux, which has affected almost 20-45% of population these days and it can occur in any age due to hectic schedule, obesity, smoking, pregnancy, high dose medications, erratic lifestyle & eating habits.
What is acid reflux?
Acid reflux occurs when acid is thrown back from the stomach into the oesophagus (A tube that connects throat & stomach). Acid reflux is also known as “gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).”
This mostly happens when your lower oesophageal sphincter (LES) is weakened or damaged badly. The LES is a ring-like muscle at the bottom of the oesophagus that acts like a valve between the oesophagus and stomach. Normally this LES closes to prevent food in the stomach from moving up into the oesophagus.
Sometimes acid reflux may also progress to GERD which is severe form of reflux. When acid reflux takes place, you may taste pukish food or sour liquid at the back of your mouth or feel a burning sensation in your chest (heartburn). HEARTBURN occurs when refluxed stomach acid touches the lining of the oesophagus which cause a burning sensation in the chest. If heartburn episodes occur more than two times or thrice a week, it signals of GERD which can eventually lead to more serious health problems. In some worst cases, you might need medicines or surgery. Few foods and tips can help to reduce the acid reflux-
- Vegetables- Fresh raw Vegetables are naturally considered to be low in fats and sugars. Good vegetable options include that can help to reduce stomach acid level are green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, leafy greens, potatoes, and cucumbers. Avoid tomatoes, onions, garlic, frozen or canned veggies.
- Banana- Bananas can be a boon for acid reflux people, it has a PH of 5.8 which can improve acid reflux conditions. In a day, one can consume 1-2 bananas, so the next time you travel keep bananas handy!
- Aloe vera- It is a natural healing agent that can treat acid reflux but always use stabilized & unsweetened aloe vera juice. Avoid using aloe vera from plant as they can have bacteria which can cause infection.
- Ginger- Ginger is one of the best foods as it has anti-inflammatory properties and can help for the treatment for gastrointestinal conditions. It should be used while cooking, add it to smoothies, sip ginger tea, or snack on ginger chews.
- Fennel seeds- Fennel seeds known as ‘saunf’ can actually improve stomach function. It has pH 6.8 which can give soothing effect to stomach. One can simply add these seeds in smoothies, salad, chicken dishes, and gravies or simply chew it & gulp it with water.
- Reduce the weight if you are obese, make sure you lose in a healthy way.
- Eat small frequent balanced meals, large meals can aggravate the reflux issues more.
- Reduce the total amount of fat consumed by decreasing the intake of margarine, butter, oils, salad dressings, gravy, fatty meats, and full-fat dairy/milk products such as sour cream, cheese, and whole milk as they take the longest time to leave the stomach.
- Maintain an upright posture while eating meals & afterwards. Also avoid tight clothes around abdomen for at least 40-50 minutes right after the meal.
- Eat food before 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
- Reflux may depend person to person, try to avoid the trigger foods for two weeks and then re-introduce one at a time in little portions as per your tolerance.
- While sleeping you can use 2 pillows to raise the level of your head which helps minimizing acid reflux attacks.