Gone are the days when fusion singing was synonymous with rehashing and remixing old melodies. Indian music industry is in a great space right now, with talented singers, musicians, and lyricists who are not afraid of trying something new. They are exploring new genres and are adding their distinct Indian flavors.
Let’s take a look at some of the up and coming stars of the music fraternity.
- Vidya Vox(Vidya Iyer): This trained Carnatic singer is an Indian-born American. She burst into the scene with mashups of Western music with her native Indian music. The USP of her music is the orchestration of the instruments that give a contemporary feel to her songs. One of her most successful videos was the mash-up of the song ‘Closer’, originally sung by the Chainsmokers with the Hindi song ‘Kabeera’ from the film ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’.
- Jonita Gandhi: This Indo-Canadian singer is a YouTube sensation. She does covers, mashups, and originals in English, Hindi, Tamil, and Telegu. Her melodious voice will surely take your breath away.
- Sanam Puri: He has lent his soulful voice to songs like ‘Ishq Bulaava’ for the Hindi film ‘Hasee Toh Phasee’. Although he does originals too, his renditions of old melodies are what dreams are made of.
- Shanker Tucker: Here’s someone who plays a wide variety of musical instruments. Then he comes up with something magical by combining genres such as Indian Classical, folk, pop and. Jazz. His rendition of Adele’s ‘Rolling in the Deep’ will make you listen to it on loop.
- Akash Gandhi: He is both a composer and pianist. If you are looking for an instrumental rendition of covers, your quest stops here. His YouTube channel is dedicated to acoustic Bollywood music and is sure to transport you to another world.
- Shirley Setia: This girl’s voice will just blow you away. With covers such as ‘Bol Do Na Zara’ and ‘Sanam Re’, this fusion singer is sure to go places.
- Darshit Nayak: Wait till he starts singing. His voice will keep ringing in your ears long after the song is over. He is very popular for his multiple Bollywood mashups.
These singers are not afraid to experiment and their humongous fan following bears testimony to this fact. So, what’s keeping you? All you need is a pair of headphones and a cozy blanket.