Summer has come. The Litchis are ready to eat, mangoes ripen. This is when the Bengali mom-in-laws will start preparing for the much-awaited summer festival for their beloved Son-in-law commonly known as Jamai Sasthi. This auspicious day every son-in-law is treated like a king and offered delicacies of his choice. This festival embarked the preparation of a grand feast.
During Jamai Sasthi, the mom-in-laws perform rituals and the son-in-laws are invited. Special puja is performed to Goddess Sasthi who is believed to protect their children from evil. A yellow thread is tied on both daughter and son-in-law’s wrist which denotes the completion of the puja. This is followed by serving and feeding him to his heart’s content. Various delicacies served in brass plates and bowls. Gifts, ornaments, fruits and sweets are gifted to both daughter and son-in-law.
To get ready for the occasion, the son-in-law should dress in a proper manner as wearing the correct dress for any occasion is a matter of good manner.
- Go traditional, in a style: A traditional wear is the best option for the occasion. Say complete “No” to your formals tomorrow. One can pick Short or Long Kurtas as per their choice. Since its summer, choose your apparels wisely as per your own comfort. Remember, your style will reflect your attitude and personality.
- Go chic, this Jamai Sasthi: Add some drama to your ethnic attires. Use the block colored Nehru Jackets over your white kurtas or a plain shirt.
- Mix and Match: If you are not in favor of wearing the long kurtas with churidaars or a short kurta with your harem pants or jodhpurs, then you can always club your short kurtas with your formal pants. Trust me, your black formal pant will give you a smarter look when clad with a short kurta.
- Choose your colors wisely: Dress according to the occasion. If you are going out for a lunch invite, why pick your dark blue sherwani? Keep the dark dazzling colors for night functions and pick light colored ones for the day invites.
- Shoes: Pair your ethnic wear with juttis, leather sandals, Kolhapuri chappals. If you are going mix and match then boat shoes and espadrilles are a perfect choice.
- Details Matter: Iron your shirts as your mom-in-law will notice it for sure no matter rest of the family members doesn’t bother. Don’t forget to shave off your extra beard or hair and keep yourself neat. Even if you look perfectly fine and you stink, things will go for a toss. Make sure you will apply a pleasant Deodorant or a little cologne before you step out. Don’t overdo it!
- Wear your best make-up: Put a smile on your face as happiness and confidence are the prettiest things one can wear.
So walk with confidence and enjoy your day. Happy Jamai Sasthi!