The voice behind the best-selling songs “Wake me up before you go-go” and “Last Christmas” is no more. The famous English singer and songwriter, George Michael is no more. His soul left his body on 25 December 2016. Sources reported that the star, aged 53, had died at his home in Goring-on-Thame, Oxfordshire in his sleep due to a heart attack. Let’s go back and relish the great moments by Michael throughout his musical journey. It’s time to pay tribute to this singing sensation of all times.
- George came up with his debut solo album, “Faith” in 1987 which got sold more than 20 million copies worldwide.
- He found success when he paired up with Andrew Ridgeley. They formed a musical duo, Wham! in 1981.
The famous duo-Wham!
- Billboard magazine ranked him the 40th most successful artist to ever live as he was the best-selling British acts of all the time.
- He won various prestigious awards throughout his musical journey of 30 years namely three Brit Awards- winning best British male twice, four MTV video music awards, four Ivor Novello Awards, three America Music Awards and two Grammy Awards from eight nominations.
- During the period 1984-2004, he was named the most played artist in the British radio by Radio Academy.
- In 2005, he came up with his first documentary, “A Different Story”, covering his career and personal life.
First Documentary- A different story
- Michael became the first artist to perform live at the newly renovated Wembly Stadium in London in June 2007 for which he was later fined for over-running the program for 13 minutes.
- “Twenty Five” was George Michael’s second greatest hits album, celebrating the 25th anniversary of his musical career. It was released in November 2006 by Sony BMG and debuted at no.1 in U.K.
- George Michael was one of the final nominees for the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame.
- He was a strong supporter of LGBT community and worker’s rights and also been known for lending his helping hand for charity. In December 1984, his charity song “Do they know it’s Christmas? for famine relief became the UK Christmas number one and “Last Christmas” by Wham positioned no.2.
Band Aid- Do they know it’s Christmas!
- In 2016, he publicized “Freedom” as his second documentary all set to release in March 2017.
Let’s pray for his soul to rest in peace. Our sincere prayers are with George Michael’s family, friends and fans at this difficult time.